Anand Mitra wrote:
Hi All,

At KQ Infotech, we have always looked at challenging ourselves by
trying to scope out new technologies. Currently we are porting ZFS to
Linux and would like to share our progress and the challenges faced,
we would also like to know your thoughts/inputs regarding our efforts.

Though we are at early stages of porting ZFS to Linux, we have gained
some insight into how we can move forward. So far we have been
successful in achieving the following milestones.

We have a ZFS building as a module and the following primitive
operations are possible.

    * Creating a pool over a file (devices not supported yet)
    * Zpool list, remove
    * Creating filesystems and mounting them

But we are still not at a stage, where we can create files and read
and write to them. Once we are able to successfully achieve that we
will make the same available for download.

That is great process thanks for sharing. Why not share the source now so that others can help you ?

One of the biggest questions around this effort would be “licensing”.
As far as our understanding goes; CDDL doesn’t restrict us from
modifying ZFS code and releasing it. However GPL and CDDL code cannot
be mixed, which implies that ZFS cannot be compiled into Linux Kernel
which is GPL. But we believe the way to get around this issue is to
build ZFS as a module with a CDDL license, it can still be loaded in
the Linux kernel. Though it would be restricted to use the non-GPL
symbols, but as long as that rule is adhered to there is no problem of
legal issues.

That is my personal understanding as well, however this is not legal advice and I am not qualified to (or even wish to) give it in any case.

Good luck with the port.

--
Darren J Moffat