Hi Joerg,

Thanks for this clarification. We understand that we can distribute ZFS
binary under a non GPL license, as long as it does not use GPL symbols.

Our plan regarding ZFS is to first port it to Linux kernel and then make its
binary distributions available for various different distributions of Linux.
These binary distribution will be in form of loadable kernel modules and
commands.

Once we get ready with ZFS port then we will start sharing our plans for its
binary distributions.
Feel free to contact us if anyone is interested in ZFS port on specific
linux distribution.

Regards,
Anurag.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Joerg Schilling <
joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> "David Dyer-Bennet" <d...@dd-b.net> wrote:
>
> > The problem with this, I think, is that to be used by any significant
> > number of users, the module has to be included in a distribution, not
> just
> > distributed by itself.  (And the different distributions have their own
> > policies on what they will and won't consider including in terms of
> > licenses.)
>
> For this argument, I recommend to read the OpenSource Definition at:
> http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php in special look at section
> 9.
>
> The FSF grants you that the GPL is an OSS compliant license, so there is no
> difference between shipping ZFS separately and shipping it as part of a
> distro.
>
> Jörg
>
> --
>
> EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de<email%3ajo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>(home)