On Nov 17, 2009, at 2:50 PM, Scott Meilicke wrote:

I am sorry that I don't have any links, but here is what I observe on my system. dd does not do sync writes, so the ZIL is not used. iSCSI traffic does sync writes (as of 2009.06, but not 2008.05), so if you repeat your test using an iSCSI target from your system, you should see log activity. Same for NFS. I see no ZIL activity using rsync, for an example of a network file transfer that does not require sync.

This is correct.  Normal, local file I/O will be nicely cached.
 -- richard