Hi,

first of all, many thanks to those who made user/group quotas possible. This
is a huge improvement for many users of ZFS!

While presenting on this new future at the Munich OpenSolaris User Group meeting
yesterday, a question came up that I couldn't find an answer for: Can you set
a default user/group quota?

Apparently,

  zfs set userqu...@user1=5g tank/home/user1

is the only way to set user quotas and the "@user1" part seems to be mandatory,
at least according to the snv_126 version of the ZFS manpage. According to my
attempts with ZFS:

  The {user|group}{used|quota}@ properties must be appended with
  a user or group specifier of one of these forms:
      POSIX name      (eg: "matt")
      POSIX id        (eg: "126829")
      SMB n...@domain (eg: "m...@sun")
      SMB SID         (eg: "S-1-234-567-89")

Imagine a system that needs to handle thousands of users. Setting quota
individually for all of these users would quickly become unwieldly, in a similar
manner to the unwieldliness that having a filesystem for each user presented.

Which was the reason to introduce user/group quotas in the first place.

IMHO, it would be useful to have something like:

  zfs set userquota=5G tank/home

and that would mean that all users who don't have an individual user quota
assigned to them would see a default 5G quota.

I haven't found an RFE for this yet. Is this planned? Should I file an RFE?
Or did I overlook something?

Thanks,
   Constantin

--
Sent from OpenSolaris, http://www.opensolaris.org/

Constantin Gonzalez                              Sun Microsystems GmbH, Germany
Principal Field Technologist                    http://blogs.sun.com/constantin
Tel.: +49 89/4 60 08-25 91       http://google.com/search?q=constantin+gonzalez

Sitz d. Ges.: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028