Constantin Gonzalez wrote:
Imagine a system that needs to handle thousands of users. Setting quota
individually for all of these users would quickly become unwieldly, in a similar manner to the unwieldliness that having a filesystem for each user presented.

The main reason for not having a fileystem per user was really the client side impact because NFSv4 and mirror mounts aren't available in enough places or there are other limitations on NFS clients (like the VMware 16 mounts limitation).

Which was the reason to introduce user/group quotas in the first place.

IMHO, it would be useful to have something like:

  zfs set userquota=5G tank/home

and that would mean that all users who don't have an individual user quota
assigned to them would see a default 5G quota.

I haven't found an RFE for this yet. Is this planned? Should I file an RFE?
Or did I overlook something?

I think that would be great feature.

--
Darren J Moffat