Hua wrote:
I am building a system on a small x86 system by using Solaris 10 10/09. The
system disk is 1TB. As Solaris only take 6GB, I plan to allocate the rest to a
zpool for data. I want to keep system and data as separated as possible,
therefore I tried

a. Create a 10G Solaris partition for install system. Then after installation
finish, I created second Solaris partition and then zpool for data. This disk
layout works fine until the time when I tried to re-install Solaris. The
installation program seems always assume there will be only one Solaris
partition on a single disk. The new system won't boot although installation
finish successfully. I guess the installer gets confused by the disk layout

b. Create a 10G Solaris partition for system and an "other" type partition of
990G for data. The zpool is created on block device c0d0p2 by using

zpool create pdata c0d0p2

c0d0p1 is the Solaris partition has the system. So far the zpool on top of a
fdisk partition seems working fine. But I don't think this is usual/normal way
to setup up a zpool, therefore I am not sure whether there are potential
problem/risk. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks

It should work fine.

Historically, FDISK partitioning didn't allow for more than one primary partition of the same type, which is why you need to make the other partition something different. As long as you create it as partition type which isn't going to get misinterpreted as something else, ZFS doesn't care.

--
Andrew