Hi,

I read the other posts in this thread, they look fine. But still, I thing you have bad concept. Generally, it is a good idea to separate root pool from data, but as I understand, you have only one physical disk.

I would install Solaris using ZFS as the root filesystem on the whole disk and after installation I would probably create another ZFS for data. Finaly I would tune ZFS quotas to achieve best storrage optimization for your needs. Then you can e.g. forget the liveupgrade storage problems. Btw., I read somewhere that one should build ZFS on top of whole disk rather then partitions.

This is my opinion.

Best,

Jozef Hamar

_   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _
 `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass
over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner
eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only
I will remain.

Hua wrote:
I am building a system on a small x86 system by using Solaris 10 10/09. The system disk is 1TB. As Solaris only take 6GB, I plan to allocate the rest to a zpool for data. I want to keep system and data as separated as possible, therefore I tried

a. Create a 10G Solaris partition for install system. Then after installation finish, I created second Solaris partition and then zpool for data. This disk layout works fine until the time when I tried to re-install Solaris. The installation program seems always assume there will be only one Solaris partition on a single disk. The new system won't boot although installation finish successfully. I guess the installer gets confused by the disk layout

b. Create a 10G Solaris partition for system and an "other" type partition of 990G for data. The zpool is created on block device c0d0p2 by using

zpool create pdata c0d0p2

c0d0p1 is the Solaris partition has the system. So far the zpool on top of a fdisk partition seems working fine. But I don't think this is usual/normal way to setup up a zpool, therefore I am not sure whether there are potential problem/risk. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks