On Nov 4, 2009, at 6:02 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> Thanks for the link, but the main concern in spinning down drives of a ZFS
> pool
> is that ZFS by default is not so idle. Every 5 to 30 seconds it closes a
> transaction
> group (TXG) which requires a synchronous write of metadata to disk.

I'm running freebsd 7.2 with ZFS and have my data drives set to spin down when
idle.
They don't get re-spun back up all the time like you fear; only when there is a
userland access.

as mentioned elsewhere, the disks spin up sequentially which is a PITA.  I had
a little
script on my previous linux box that spun up all the disks .5 second apart but
i can't
figure out how to get freebsd to tell me the current state of the disks.

I don't know if the freebsd folks made any mods to ZFS for this but I kinda
doubt it.

I don't have anything spiffy like prefetching to a cache disk, etc.  When I am
streaming
music to a squeezebox, all my disks are spinning.  I have thought about hacking
squeezecenter to copy to a temp disk but the win is pretty minimal, by the time
they spin down
i'll want them back to choose the next album.

danno