> you can fetch the "cr_txg" (cr for creation) for a
> snapshot using zdb,

yes, but this is hardly an appropriate interface. zdb is also likely to cause
disk activity because it looks at many things other than the specific item in
question.

> but the very creation of a snapshot requires a new
> txg to note that fact in the pool.

yes, which is exactly what we're trying to avoid, because it requires disk
activity to write.

> if the snapshot is taken recursively, all snapshots
> will have the same cr_txg, but that requires the
> same configuration for all filesets.

again, yes, but that's irrelevant - the important knowledge at this moment is
that the txg has not changed since last time, and that thus there will be no
benefit in taking further snapshots, regardless of configuration.