On Dec 7, 2009, at 11:23 PM, Daniel Carosone wrote:

>> but if you attempt to "add" a disk to a redundant
>> config, you'll see an error message similar [..]
>>
>> Doesn't the "mismatched replication" message help?
>
> Not if you're trying to make a single disk pool redundant by adding .. er,
> attaching .. a mirror; then there won't be such a warning, however effective
> that warning might or might not be otherwise.

That's exactly where I made the mistake, a single disk pool and I wanted to
attach another disk to build a mirror.

I'm now using zfs send and receive to backup the disk to another zpool. Then I
want to rename the old and the new zpools and mount the new zpool. Then I can
destroy the old zpool, attach the free disks from the old zpool creating a
mirror and in the end detach the extra disk from new mirrored zpool.