Yeah, this is my main concern with moving from my cheap Linux server with no
redundancy to ZFS RAID on OpenSolaris; I don't really want to have to pay twice
as much to buy the 'enterprise' disks which appear to be exactly the same
drives with a flag set in the firmware to limit read retries, but I also don't
want to lose all my data because a sector fails and the drive hangs for a
minute trying to relocate it, causing the file system to fall over.

I haven't found a definitive answer as to whether this will kill a ZFS RAID
like it kills traditional hardware RAID or whether ZFS will recover after the
drive stops attempting to relocate the sector. At least with a single drive
setup the OS will eventually get an error response and the other files on the
disk will be readable when I copy them over to a new drive.