On Thu, Dec 31 at  2:14, Willy wrote:
Thanks, sounds like it should handle all but the
worst faults OK then; I believe the maximum retry
timeout is typically set to about 60 seconds in
consumer drives.

Are you sure about this?  I thought these consumer level drives
would try indefinitely to carry out its operation.  Even Samsung's
white paper on CCTL RAID error recovery says it could take a minute
or longer (see "Desktop Unsuccessful Error Recovery" diagram)
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/learningresource/whitepapers/LearningResource_CCTL.html

Depends very much on the firmware and the error type.  Each vendor
will have their own trade-secret approaches to solving this issue
based on their own failure rates and expected usages.

--eric

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmud...@mail.bounceswoosh.org