Richard Elling wrote:
On Dec 25, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Erik Trimble wrote:

I haven't seen this mentioned before, but the OCZ Vertex Turbo is still an MLC-based SSD, and is /substantially/ inferior to an Intel X25-E in terms of random write performance, which is what a ZIL device does almost exclusively in the case of NFS traffic.

ZIL traffic tends to be sequential on separate logs. But may be of different sizes.
 -- richard
Really? Now that I think about it, that seems to make sense - I was assuming that each NFS write would be relatively small, but that's likely not a valid general assumption. I'd still think that the MLC-nature of the Vertex isn't optimal for write-heavy applications like here, even with a modest SDRAM cache on the SSD.

In fact, I think that the Vertex's sustained random write IOPs performance is actually inferior to a 15k SAS drive.

I read a benchmark report yesterday that might be interesting. It seems that there is a market for modest sized SSDs, which would be perfect for separate
logs + OS for servers.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=392&Itemid=60
 -- richard
I'm still hoping that vendors realize that there definitely is a (very large) market for ~20GB high write IOPS SSDs. I like my 18GB Zeus SSD, but it sure would be nice to be able to pay $2/Gb for it, instead of 10x that now...

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support