On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 01:40:03PM -0800, Brad wrote:
> "This doesn't make sense to me. You've got 32 GB, why not use it?
> Artificially limiting the memory use to 20 GB seems like a waste of
> good money."
>
> I'm having a hard time convincing the dbas to increase the size of the SGA to
> 20GB because their philosophy is, no matter what eventually you'll have to
> hit disk to pick up data thats not stored in cache (arc or l2arc).  The
> typical database server in our environment holds over 3TB of data.

Brad,

are your DBAs aware that if you increase your SGA (currently 4 GB)
- to 8  GB - you get 100 % more memory for SGA
- to 16 GB - you get 300 % more memory for SGA
- to 20 GB - you get 400 % ...

If they are not aware, well ...

But try to be patient - I had similar situation. It took quite long time to
convince
our DBA to increase SGA from 16 GB to 20 GB. Finally they did :-)

You can always use "stronger" argument that not using already bought memory
is wasting of _money_.

Regards
Przemyslaw Bak (przemol)
--