I'm about to build a ZFS based NAS and i'd like some suggestions about how
to set up my drives.

The case i'm using holds 20 hot swap drives, so i plan to use either 4 vdevs
with 5 drives or 5 vdevs with 4 drives each (and a hot spare inside the
machine)

The motherboard i'm getting has 4 pci-x slots 2 @ 133 Mhz and 2 @ 100 Mhz

I was planning on buying 3 of the famous AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards which would give
me more than enough sata slots.  I'll also have 6 onboard slots.

I also plan on using 2 sata=> compact flash adapters with 16 gb compact
flash cards for the os.

My main question is what is the best way to lay out the vdevs?

Does it really matter how i lay them out considering i only have gigabit
network?

Thanks for any help.