Hello,

On Dec 30, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Thomas Burgess wrote:

> I'm about to build a ZFS based NAS and i'd like some suggestions about how to
> set up my drives.
>
> The case i'm using holds 20 hot swap drives, so i plan to use either 4 vdevs
> with 5 drives or 5 vdevs with 4 drives each (and a hot spare inside the
> machine)
>

> The motherboard i'm getting has 4 pci-x slots 2 @ 133 Mhz and 2 @ 100 Mhz
>
> I was planning on buying 3 of the famous AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards which would give
> me more than enough sata slots.  I'll also have 6 onboard slots.
>
> I also plan on using 2 sata=> compact flash adapters with 16 gb compact flash
> cards for the os.
>
> My main question is what is the best way to lay out the vdevs?
>
> Does it really matter how i lay them out considering i only have gigabit
> network?

It depends, random I/O and resilver/scrubbing should be a bit faster with 5
vdevs but for sequential data access it should not matter over gigabit.  It all
comes down to what you want out of the configuration, redundancy versus usable
space and price.

raidz2 might be a better choice than raidz, especially  if you have large
disks. For most of my storage need I would probably build a pool out of 4
radiz2 vdevs.

Regards

Henrik
Henrik