On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:56 AM, Tristan Ball wrote:
On 6/01/2010 3:00 AM, Roch wrote:
That said, I truly am for a evolution for random read
workloads. Raid-Z on 4K sectors is quite appealing. It means
that small objects become nearly mirrored with good random read
performance while large objects are stored efficiently.

-r

Sold! Let's do that then! :-)

Seriously - are there design or architectural reasons why this isn't done by default, or at least an option? Or is it just a "no one's had time to implement yet" thing?

Waiting on hardware to be become widely available might be a long wait.
See also PSARC 2008/769
http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2008/769/inception.materials/design_doc

I understand that 4K sectors might be less space efficient for lots of small files, but I suspect lots of us would happilly make that trade off!

+1 (for better reliability, too!)
 -- richard