Many large-scale photo hosts start with netapp as the default "good
enough" way to handle multiple-TB storage. With a 1-5% cache on top,
the workload is truly random-read over many TBs. But these workloads
almost assume a frontend cache to take care of hot traffic, so L2ARC
is just a nice implementation of that, not a silver bullet.

I agree that RAID-DP is much more scalable for reads than RAIDZx, and
this basically turns into a cost concern at scale.

The raw cost/GB for ZFS is much lower, so even a 3-way mirror could be
used instead of netapp. But this certainly reduces the cost advantage
significantly.

mike

p.s. I managed the team that built blogger.com's photo hosting, and
picasaweb.google.com, so I've seen some of this stuff at scale
(neither of these use netapp). For large photos, it's pretty simple:
the more independent spindles, the better.