On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Ed Spencer wrote:

I was wondering how we can tell if the zfs_vdev_max_pending setting is impeding read performance of the zfs pool? (The pool consists of lots of small files).

If 'iostat -x' shows that svc_t is quite high, then reducing zfs_vdev_max_pending might help. The parameter can be adjusted using the kernel debugger in real time (no reboot or remount) as described on the zfs tuning page.

And if it is impeding read performance, how do we go about finding a new value for this parameter?

I am told that the objective is to get svc_t down to reasonable levels (< 64ms or maybe < 32ms) when the system is under load.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn