On 12/01/2010 23:47, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Ed Spencer wrote:

I was wondering how we can tell if the zfs_vdev_max_pending setting is impeding read performance of the zfs pool? (The pool consists of lots of small files).

If 'iostat -x' shows that svc_t is quite high, then reducing zfs_vdev_max_pending might help. The parameter can be adjusted using the kernel debugger in real time (no reboot or remount) as described on the zfs tuning page.

Only if actv is close to zfs_vdev_max_pending per each LUN. If it is close to 0 then changing the vdev_max_pending parameter wouldn't do much difference.

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com