> NO, zfs send is not a backup.

Understood, but perhaps you didn't read my whole message.  Here, I will
spell out the whole discussion:

If you "zfs send > somefile" it is well understood there are two big
problems with this method of backup.  #1 If a single bit error is introduced
into the file, then the whole data stream is corrupt.  #2 If you want to
restore just a subset of the filesystem, you cannot.  The only option
available is to restore the whole filesystem.

Instead, it is far preferable to "zfs send | zfs receive"  ...  That is,
receive the data stream on external media as soon as you send it.  By
receiving the data stream onto external media, instead of just saving the
datastream as a file on external media ... You solve both of the above
problems.  Obviously this is only possible with external disks, and not
possible with tapes.