On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 01:38:16PM -0800, Richard Elling wrote:
> The Solaris 10 10/09 zfs(1m) man page says:
>
>          The format of the stream is committed. You will be  able
>          to receive your streams on future versions of ZFS.
>
> I'm not sure when that hit snv, but obviously it was after b112.

I only noticed it recently.  My guess was that it arrived together
with the format changes for "zfs send -D".   As handy as that change
is, it doesn't address some of the other deficiencies involved in
trying to repurpose a replication stream as an archive format.

> > When we brought it up last time, I think we found no one knows of a
> > userland tool similar to 'ufsdump' that's capable of serializing a ZFS
> > along with holes, large files, ``attribute'' forks, windows ACL's, and
> > checksums of its own, and then restoring the stream in a
> > filesystem-agnostic read/write/lseek/... manner like 'ufsrestore'.

It was precisely the realisation that the zpool-in-a-file format had
all of the desired characteristics that led to the scheme I described
elsewhere in this thread.

(It wasn't one of my criteria, but this goes up to and including the
"userland tool" component - although I've not tried, I understand
there are userland versions of the zfs tools in the test suite.)

It has the advantage of being entirely common with the original, so it
will be well tested and keep in sync with new features (dedup, crypto,
next+N).   A focus on formalising this usage pattern would bring
further benefits in terms of features  (e.g, as a worthwhile use case
for "read only import") and of practices (documentation and process).

--
Dan.