>>>>> "dc" == Daniel Carosone <d...@geek.com.au> writes:

    dc> There's a family of platypus in the creek just down the bike
    dc> path from my house.

yeah, happy australiaday. :)

What I didn't understand in school is that egg layers like echidnas
are not exotic but are pettingzoo/farm/roadkill type animals.  IMHO
there's a severe taxonomic bias among humans, like a form of OCD, that
brings us ridiculous things like ``the seven layer OSI model'' and
Tetris and belief in ``RAID edition'' drives.

    dc> Typically, once a sector fails to read, this is true for that
    dc> sector (or range of sectors).  However, if the sector is
    dc> overwritten and can be remapped, drives often continue working
    dc> flawlessly for a long time thereafter.

While I don't doubt you had that experience (I've had it too), I was
mostly thinking of the google paper:

 http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.html

They focus on temperature, which makes sense because it's $$$: spend
on cooling, or on replacing drives?  and tehy find even >45C does not
increase failures until the third year, so basically just forget about
it, and forget also about MTBF estimates based on silly temperature
timewarp claims and pay attention to their numbers instead.

But the interesting result for TLER/ERC is on page 7 figure 7, where
you see within the first two years the effect of reallocation on
expected life is very pronounced, and they say ``after their first
reallocation, drives are over 14 times more likely to fail within 60
days than drives without reallocation counts, making the critical
thereshold for this parameter also '1'.''

It also says drives which fail the 'smartctl -t long' test (again,
this part of smartctl is broken on solaris :( plz keep in the back of
your mind :), which checks that every sector on the medium is
readable, are ``39 times more likely to fail within 60 days than
drives without scan errors.''  so...this suggests to me that read
errors are not so much things that happen from time to time even with
good drives, and therefore there is not much point in trying to write
data into an unreadable sector (to remap it) or to worry about
squeezing one marginal sector out of an unredundant desktop drive (the
drive's bad---warn OS, recover data, replace it).

One of the things that's known to cause bad sectors is high-flying
writes, and all the google-studied drives were in data centers, so
some of this might not be true of laptop drives that get knocked
around a fair bit.

    dc> Once they've run out of remapped sectors, or have started
    dc> consistently producing errors, then they're cactus.  Do pay
    dc> attention to the smart error counts and predictors.

yes, well, you can't even read these counters on Solaris because
smartctl doesn't make it through the SATA stack, so ``do pay attention
to'' isn't very practical advice.  but if you have Linux, the advice
of the google paper is to look at the remapped sector count (is it
zero, or more than zero?), and IIRC that sometimes the ``seek error
rate'' can be compared among identical model drives but is useless
otherwise.  The ``overall health assessment'' is obviously useless,
but hopefully I don't need to tell anyone that.  The 'smartctl -t
long' test is my favorite, but it's proactive.  Anyway the main result
I'm interested here is what I just said, that unreadable sectors are
not a poisson process.  They're strong indicators of drives about to
fail, ``the critical threshhold is '1' '', and not things around which
you can usefully plan cargocult baroque spaghetti rereading strategies.

    dc> The best practices of regular scrubs and sufficiently
    dc> redundant pools and separate backups stand, in spite of and
    dc> indeed because of such idiocy.

ok, but the new thing that I'm arguing is that TLER/ERC is a
completely useless adaptation to a quirk of RAID card firmware and has
nothing to do with ZFS, nor with best RAID practices in general.  I'm
not certain this statement is true, but from what I've heard so far
that's what I think.