Good observation. It seems that I'm only keeping ahead of the folks in this
forum by running as hard as I can.

I just bought the sheet aluminum for making my drive cages. I'm going for the
drives-in-a-cage setup, but I'm also floating each drive on vinyl (and hence
dissipative, not resonant) vibration dampers per drive. Stock item at
McMaster-Carr. Lets each drive not only float from the chassis, but gets you
both spring isolation and dissipative isolation from the supporting member.

I'll see if I can take some pictures. A seven-drive cage version of an ATX
case/corpse is donating itself for a drilling template for the drive mounting
holes.

This is complemented by my lucky purchase from craigslist of two 4U rackmount
cases for $25. The cages in these are rubber mounted to the outer case, which
will help further damp feed-in of air-borne vibration picked up from the large
flat panels of the case. The vinyl dampers @ 4/drive will both help keep the
individual drive's vibration in and the other drives' vibration out, while
dissipating it as heat.

R.G.