Hi David,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <d...@dd-b.net> wrote:
> My current home fileserver (running Open Solaris 111b and ZFS) has an ASUS
> M2N-SLI DELUXE motherboard.  This has 6 SATA connections, which are
> currently all in use (mirrored pair of 80GB for system zfs pool, two
> mirrors of 400GB both in my data pool).
>
> I've got two more hot-swap drive bays.  And I'm getting up towards 90%
> full on the data pool.  So, it's time to expand, right?
>
> I have two approaches in contention:
>
> #1, I can just swap drives for bigger drives, waiting for resilver and
> taking the risk that the other drive will fail during the resilver (I do
> have backups, plus I've got the old removed drive as well, so I could
> recover from a failure during resilver with some downtime).
>
> #2, I can find or install two additional SATA ports and put two more
> drives in the open bays.  I've even got two 400GB drives sitting
> available; that's a 50% increase on current storage, so I'm not inclined
> to spend money for new drives yet, even though these are quite small.  (I
> picked up a pile of free Sun-badged Hitachi 400GB drives when the project
> I was on at the time decided they were too small to use and put them out
> for people to take home.  I grabbed two right away, and very
> conscientiously stayed away for a while to give other people a good shot
> too.  But I took another drive every hour, and left with 7 of them.  There
> were still some there when I left, so I feel virtuous rather than greedy.)
>
> I prefer approach two.  Three pair gives me more flexibility and more
> performance than two, plus I don't have to pay for new drives right away
> since I've got spare 400GB drives around.  Plus it probably bothers me
> more than it should that I'm "wasting" two of the fairly expensive
> hot-swap bays.
>
> So, with regard to option #2, I have two questions.
>
> First, there's some sign that this motherboard has an integral raid
> controller.  Can it also be used to drive bare drives?  If I could just
> find two more usable controller ports (with good drivers and hot-swap
> support), I'd be happy without spending any money.  Anybody understand
> this motherboard?
>
> Second, if I have to buy an additional controller, what should I buy for
> driving two (or at most 4; I suppose it might make sense to reduce the
> load on the motherboard controller) SATA drives from this motherboard?  I
> believe I have a free PCI-Express x16 slot and two x1 slots (and don't
> understand these new-fangled ports very well).  I want stability, +- 10%
> performance is not at all important.  Cheap is good :-) (paying my own
> money here!).
>
> (Obvious additional choices like replacing the whole box are not
> interesting; its performance is fine for my needs, and it can easily
> handle increased disk capacity.)
>
> Also, I probably should upgrade to more recent code than snv_111b, eh?
> What's a demonstrated-to-be-stable code level I could upgrade to?  I'm not
> [...]

I have the same motherboard. Though I haven't used all of the SATA ports, I
also have an ST Lab PCIe SATA II 300 RAID Card, 2+2 (uses a PCIe 1X port,
has Sil3132 chip). I've had the card for almost 2 years now, so I'm not sure if
you can still buy these.

The key thing: the Sil3132 is supported in OpenSolaris.

Hope this helps!