Okay, so this SuperMicro AOC-USAS-L8i is an "SAS" card?  I've never done SAS;
is it essentially a controller as flexible as SCSI that then talks to SATA
disks out the back?

Amazon seems to be the only obvious place to buy it (Newegg and Tiger Direct
have nothing).

And do I understand that it doesn't come with the cables it needs?  And that
what I need are SAS-to-4-SATA breakout cables?  And that those m*f* b*ds cost
$30 or so each and I'll need two of them?  Bloody connector conspiracy.  So I'd
better open the system out and measure a bunch of things, because I need to
make sure I can reach everything I need to reach (this is an oversize case,
it's actually a 4u rackmount up on end, and it's full rack depth, so the
distance from motherboard to drives can be significant).

I'm up over $450 for a "simple" upgrade (that includes the 4x2.5"-in-5.2"-bay
box, controller, 2x 7200rpm enterprise 2.5" drives, controller, cables, and a
2GB memory upgrade) at best-mainstream-retailer mailorder prices.  The dratted
drives are four times the size I need, too; nobody carries the 80GB enterprise
models, which are only two times the size I need.  The 160GB enterprise are
only $7 each more expensive than the 80GB consumer models, though.  Weird
world.)