Personally, I'd go with 4x raidz2 vdevs, each with 6 drives.  You may not get
as much raw storage space, but you can lose up to 2 drives per vdev, and you'll
get more IOPS than with a 3x vdev setup.

Our current 24-drive storage servers use the 3x raidz2 vdevs with 8 drives in
each.  Performance is good, but not great (tops out at 300 MBps using SATA
drives and controllers).  This is using 2 12-port RAID controllers, so one of
the vdevs is split across the controllers.

If I could rebuild things from scratch, I'd go with 4x 8-port SATA controllers,
and use 4x 6-drive raidz2, using a separate controller for each vdev.