On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Edward Ned Harvey <sola...@nedharvey.com>wrote:

> > Thanks for the responses guys.  It looks like I'll probably use RaidZ2
> > with 8 drives.  The write bandwidth isn't that great as it'll be a
> > hundred gigs every couple weeks but in a bulk load type of environment.
> > So, not a major issue.  Testing with 8 drives in a raidz2 easily
> > saturated a GigE connection on the client and the server side.  We'll
> > probably link aggregate two GigE ports onto the switch to boost the
> > incoming bandwidth.

> > 7200.  All connected via a SAS expander backplane onto a machine.  CPU
> > cycles obviously aren't an issue on a Xeon machine/24Gig memory.  We
> > considered a SSD ZIL as well but from my understanding it won't help
> > much on sequential bulk writes but really helps on random writes (to
> > sequence going to disk better).  Also, doubt L2ARC/ARC will help that
> > much for sequential either.   I could be wrong on both counts here so
> > please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I believe you're correct on all points.
>
> The one comment I want to add, as a tangent, is about link aggregation.
>  You
> may already know this, but a lot of people don't, so please forgive me if
> I'm saying something obvious.
>
> When you aggregate links together, say, 4x 1Gb ports, you are of course
> increasing the speed & reliability of the network interface, but you don't
> get something like a 4Gb port.  Instead, you get a link where any one
> client
> TCP or whatever connection will max out at 1Gb, but the advantage is, while
> one client is maxing out at 1Gb, another client can come along and also max
> out another 1Gb, and a 3rd client ... and a 4th client ...
>
> Make sense?  Obvious?

Isn't that basically the same thing...i mean.

If you have 4x 1Gb as in your example, can you have 4 clients connected at
the same time all over Gb ethernet all getting close to 1Gb/s?

Isn't this LIKE having a 4Gb/s connection considering everything ELSE on
your network is essentially limited by thier small 1Gb/s connections?
Also, doesn't it also provide a level of fault tolerance as well as load
balancing?