On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Tiernan OToole <lsmart...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning. This is more than likley a stupid question on this alias
> but I will ask anyway. I am building a media server in the house and
> am trying to figure out what os to install. I know it must have zfs
> support but can't figure if I should use Freenas or open solaris.
>
> Free nas has the advantage of out of the box setup but is there
> anything similar for opensolaris? Also, ability to boot and install
> from USB key would be handy.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Tiernan
>
> You should def. go with opensolaris or something based on opensolaris if
possible BUT there is one major caveat

OpenSolaris has a much smaller HCL than FreeBSD.  Finding hardware for Osol
isn't hard if you design your system around it, but it CAN be an issue when
you are using "found" hardware or old stuff you just happen to have.  If you
are designing a system from scratch and don't mind doing the research, it's
a nice option.

The main reason i PERSONALLY say to go with Osol is that it has the newest
ZFS features and i found CIFS performance to be great, not to mention easy
to set up. (you download 2 packages and then simply use zfs set sharesmb=on,
what could be easier)

FreeBSD is great too (and FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD) but for PURE
fileserver/nas I think opensolaris is a better choice.