On February 2, 2010 11:58:12 AM -0800 Simon Breden <sbre...@gmail.com> wrote:
IIRC the Black range are meant to be the 'performance' models and so are
a bit noisy. What's your opinion? And the 2TB models are not cheap either
for a home user. The 1TB seem a good price. And from what little I read,

It depends what you mean by cheap.  As we've recently learned, cheaper
is not necessarily cheaper. :)

What I mean is, it depends how much data you have.  If 2TB drives allow
you to use only 1 chassis, you save on power consumption.  Fewer spindles
also will save on power consumption.  However, w/ 2TB drives you may
need to add more parity (raidz2 vs raidz1, e.g.) to meet your reliability
requirements -- the time to resilver 2TB may not meet your MTTDR reqs.
So you have to include your reliability needs when you figure cost.

That said, I doubt 2TB drives represent good value for a home user.
They WILL fail more frequently and as a home user you aren't likely
to be keeping multiple spares on hand to avoid warranty replacement
time.

-frank