On Feb 2, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Orvar Korvar wrote:

> 100% uptime for 20 years?
>
> So what makes OpenVMS so much more stable than Unix? What is the difference?

Software reliability studies show that the more reliable software is
old software that hasn't changed :-)

On Feb 2, 2010, at 12:42 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> I'm suggesting that the standard for the interface ought to be
> sufficiently standardized and well-enough documented that things meeting
> it just work, in the way that desktop motherboards and disk drives "just
> work", i.e. well enough for nearly everybody.  I understand why people
> pushing the limits would need custom-tuned hardware, but I don't think the
> middle of the market should need it.

Every mobo and disk I own has quirks. The only time things settle down
to a widely accepted norm is when innovation stops.  For example, recently
the SATA TRIM command has received a lot of press.  Next quarter, it will
be some other feature on the buzzword list.

> The controllers shouldn't be full of quirks; companies that routinely make
> them that way need to clean up their act or be driven out of the market.
> Same for the drives.

I think there are only about 5 HDD companies (Hitachi, Seagate, Western
Digital, Samsung, Toshiba) and 3 controller companies today (LSI, Marvell,
Intel). The remainder are in the process of getting out of the business or being
bought.  Interesting history here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_hard_disk_manufacturers
 -- richard