On 2-Feb-10, at 10:11 PM, Marc Nicholas wrote:

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Toby Thain <t...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On 2-Feb-10, at 1:54 PM, Orvar Korvar wrote:

100% uptime for 20 years?

So what makes OpenVMS so much more stable than Unix? What is the difference?

The short answer is that uptimes like that are VMS *cluster* uptimes. Individual hosts don't necessarily have that uptime, but the cluster availability is maintained for extremely long periods.

You can probably find more discussion of this in comp.os.vms.

And the 15MB/sec of I/O throughput on that state-of-the-art cluster is something to write home about? ;)

Seriously, as someone alluded to earlier, we're not comparing apples to applies. And a 9000 series VAX Cluster was one of the earlier multi-user systems I worked on for reference ;)

Making that kind of stuff work with modern expectations and tolerances is a whole new kettle of fish...

OpenVMS runs on modern gear (Itanium).

--Toby

-marc