On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM, matthew patton <patto...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> what with the home NAS conversations, what's the trick to buy a J4500 without
> any drives? SUN like every other "enterprise" storage vendor thinks it's ok
> to rape their customers and I for one, am not interested in paying 10x for a
> silly SATA hard drive.

Another solution, for a true DIY x4500: BackBlaze has schematics for
the 45 drive chassis that they designed available on their website.
http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

Someone brought it up on the list a few months ago (which is how I
know about it) and there was some interesting discussion at that time.
There's no way I would use something like this for most installs, but
there is definitely some use. Now that opensolaris supports sata pmp,
you could use a similar chassis for a zfs pool.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com
For sale: One moral compass, never used.