On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <d...@dd-b.net> wrote:
> Which is to say that 45 drives is really quite a lot for a HOME NAS.
> Particularly when you then think about backing up that data.

The origin of this thread was how to buy a J4500 (48 drive chassis).

One thing that I enjoy about this list (and I'm sure the Sun guys get
annoyed about) is the discussion of how to build various "small"
systems for home use. After sitting on the sidelines for a while, I
assembled an 8TB server for home.

Yeah, 8TB is more than I can backup over my home DSL connection. But
it's only got about 2.5TB in use, and most of that is our DVD
collection that I've ripped to play on the Popcorn Hour in our living
room, or CDs that I've ripped. I'd hate to have to re-rip it all, but
I can get it back. The rest is photos and important documents which
are copied to a VM instance and backed up offsite via Mozy.

I'm considering doing a send/receive of a few volumes to a friend's
system (as he will do to mine) to have offsite backups of the pools.
It's mostly dependent on him buying more disk. ;-)

And for what it's worth, my toying with ZFS and discussing it with
coworkers has raised interest in Sun's storage line to replace NetApp
at the office.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com
If violence doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough of it.