Peter Radig wrote:
I was interested in the impact the type of an SSD has on the performance of the
ZIL. So I did some benchmarking and just want to share the results.

My test case is simply untarring the latest ON source (528 MB, 53k files) on an
Linux system that has a ZFS file system mounted via NFS over gigabit ethernet.

I got the following results:

- remotely with no dedicated ZIL device: 36 min 37 sec (factor 73 compared to
local)

- remotely with an Intel X25-E 32 GB as ZIL device: 3 min 11 sec (factor 6.4
compared to local)

That's about the same ratio I get when I demonstrate this on the SSD/Flash/Turbocharge Discovery Days I run the UK from time to time (the name changes over time;-).

--
Andrew Gabriel