On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:58:38AM +0100, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> I have some questions about the choice of SSDs to use for ZIL and L2ARC.

I have one answer.  The other questions are mostly related to your
raid controller, which I can't answer directly.

> - Is it safe to run the L2ARC without battery backup with write cache
> enabled?

Yes, it's just a cache, errors will be detected and re-fetched from
the pool. Also, it is volatile-at-reboot (starts cold) at present
anyway, so preventing data loss at power off is not worth spending any
money or time over.

> - Does it make sense to use HW RAID10 on the storage controller or would
> I get better performance out of JBOD + ZFS RAIDZ2?

A more comparable alternative would be using the controller in jbod
mode and a pool of zfs mirror vdevs.  I'd expect that gives similar
performance to the controller's mirroring (unless higher pci bus usage
is a bottleneck) but gives you the benefits of zfs healing on disk
errors.

Performance of RaidZ/5 vs mirrors is a much more workload-sensitive
question, regardless of the additional implementation-specific
wrinkles of either kind.

Your emphasis on lots of slog and l2arc suggests performance is a
priority.  Whether all this kit is enough to hide the IOPS penalty of
raidz/5, or whether you need it even to make mirrors perform
adequately, you'll have to decide yourself.

--
Dan.