On Wed, February 24, 2010 14:39, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 02:09:42PM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> I have a directory here containing a million files and it has not
>> caused any strain for zfs at all although it can cause considerable
>> stress on applications.
>
> The biggest problem is always the apps.  For example, ls by default
> sorts, and if you're using a locale with a non-trivial collation (e.g.,
> any UTF-8 locales) then the sort gets very expensive.

Which is bad enough if you say "ls".  And there's no option to say "don't
sort" that I know of, either.

If you say "ls *" it's in some ways worse, in that the "*" is expanded by
the shell, and most of the filenames don't make it to ls at all.  ("ls
abc*" is more likely, but with a million files that can still easily
overlow the argument limit.)

There really ought to be an option to make ls not sort, at least.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info