On 24/02/2010 21:40, Steve wrote:
Well I am deleting most of them anyway... they are not needed anymore...

Will deletion solve the problem... or do I need to do something more to defrag
the file system?

I have understood that defrag willl not be available until this block rewrite
thing is done?
first the question is if fragmentation is actually your problem. Then if it is if you have lots of free disk space (continuous) then by copying a file you want to defrag you will defragment that file. You might get better results if you do it after you remove most of the files even if you have plenty of disk space available now.

It is not as elegant as having a background defrag though.

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com