On 02/28/10 15:58, valrh...@gmail.com wrote:
Also, I don't have the numbers to prove this, but it seems to me
> that the actual size of rpool/ROOT has grown substantially since I
> did a clean install of build 129a (I'm now at build133). WIthout
> compression, either, that was around 24 GB, but things seem
> to have accumulated by an extra 11 GB or so.

One common source for this is slowly accumulating files under
/var/pkg/download.

Clean out /var/pkg/download and delete all but the most recent boot environment to recover space (you need to do this to get the space back because the blocks are referenced by the snapshots used by each clone as its base version).

To avoid this in the future, set PKG_CACHEDIR in your environment to point at a filesystem which isn't cloned by beadm -- something outside rpool/ROOT, for instance.

On several systems which have two pools (root & data) I've relocated it to the data pool - it doesn't have to be part of the root pool. This has significantly slimmed down my root filesystem on systems which are chasing the dev branch of opensolaris.

> At present, my rpool/ROOT has no compression, and no deduplication. I > was wondering about whether it would be a good idea, from a
> performance and data integrity standpoint, to use one, the other, or
> both, on the root pool.

I've used the combination of copies=2 and compression=yes on rpool/ROOT for a while and have been happy with the result.

On one system I recently moved to an ssd root, I also turned on dedup and it seems to be doing just fine:

NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
r2      37G  14.7G  22.3G    39%  1.31x  ONLINE  -

(the relatively high dedup ratio is because I have one live upgrade BE with nevada build 130, and a beadm BE with opensolaris build 130, which is mostly the same)

                                                - Bill