On 04.03.2010 13:18, Erik Trimble wrote:
> Svein Skogen wrote:
>> And again ...
>>
>> Is there any work on an upgrade of zfs send/receive to handle resuming
>> on next media?
>>
>> I was thinking something along the lines of zfs send (when device goes
>> full) returning
>>
>> "send suspended. To resume insert new media and issue zfs resume
>> <IDNUMBER>"
>>
>> and receive handling:
>> "zfs receive stream ended before end of file system. Insert next media
>> and issue zfs resume <IDNUMBER>"
>>

>> Both of these would give us the ability to do graceful backups (at
>> near wirespeed of modern SAS autoloaders) and restores with few
>> additional tools.
>>
>> With a little tweak, I suspect zstreamdump could handle verifies as
>> well...
>>
>> //Svein
>>
> What you are after is 'zfs send|receive' to act just like
> ufsdump|ufsrestore.  Frankly, I don't think that's going to happen
> anytime soon.  dump|receive are badly out-of-date (not just on Solaris,
> but on any OS).  They suck as any sort of larger scale backup system, as
> they are missing any sort of indexing and browsing tools, no tape
> identification and cataloging, and are really only useful for fast
> restore of very limited, well-defined data sets (at this point, OS
> reinstalls, really).
>
> I can certainly see having 'zfs send|receive' being able to split their
> stream into chunks somehow - this would make integration with things
> like Amanda much simpler.  But let's face it: it's /highly/ unlikely
> that you would have just 'zfs send|receive' without also being able to
> get at your add-on backup software, all of which is simple to install
> (and, even if you are using many commercial packages, they're even able
> to be run for a short time without license keys).
> The scenario of "my server burned to the ground, and all I've got is the
> OS CD and a single backup tape" is pretty much dust with the ancients
> nowdays - if you find yourself in such a scenario, you've either done
> some really poor planning, or civilization has collapsed.

Actually, this sounds a lot like "if you're not a big enough corporation
to have multiple locations with servers on line, your data just isn't
important enough to store backups of in the first place".

I'm a one-man photographer. I have the server solution at home. This
home is built from wood, but I have a real solid cellar with a safe
suitable for tapes, and I have a safe off-location place to store 20
tapes (which will be used for rotation).

But, I guess my data simply isn't important enough, since I cant afford
to have two locations with online servers to do real-time sync.

Thanks for making this so clear to me, since this means I'll have to
look at alternatives to Opensolaris sooner, rather than later.

(And as you can read, the situation where all I have left is a stack of
tapes, and a new server from insurance to restore ISN'T dependant on
civilization collapsing, but something that I must prepare for that
_CAN_ happen. But thanks for making it obvious that OpenSolaris+ZFS for
me is a solution in hunt of a problem, rather than the solution for my
setup)

//Svein

- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | sv...@d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | sv...@jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | sv...@stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listm...@stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |sv...@jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mob...@stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/