Let's say for a moment I should go for this solution, with the rpool tucked
away on an usb-stick in the same case as the LTO-3 tapes it "matches"
timelinewise (I'm using HP C8017A  kits) as a zfs send -R to a file on the USB
stick. (If, and that's a big if, I get amanda or bacula to do a job I'm
comfortable with that has been verified. Not a stab at those software projects,
more a stab at them being an unknown entity for me), how would I go about
restoring:

a) the boot record
b) the rpool (and making it actually bootable off the usb stick)
c) the storage zpool (probably after I get the system back up after a and b,
but please humor me).

Reason I'm coming back here, is ... well the performance with Linux (that I
actually have software for which I'm comfortable with) wasn't quite what I've
grown used to with FreeBSD and Solaris.

//Svein