On Mar 6, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Eric D. Mudama wrote:
> On Sat, Mar  6 at  3:15, Abdullah Al-Dahlawi wrote:
>>
>>      hdd         ONLINE       0     0     0
>>        c7t0d0p3  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>
>>      rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
>>        c7t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> I trimmed your zpool status output a bit.
>
> Are those two the same device?  I'm barely familiar with solaris
> partitioning and labels... what's the difference between a slice and a
> partition?

In this context, "partition" is an fdisk partition and "slice" is a
SMI or EFI labeled slice.  The SMI or EFI labeling tools (format,
prtvtoc, and ftmhard) do not work on partitions.  So when you
choose to use ZFS on a partition, you have no tools other than
fdisk to manage the space. This can lead to confusion... a bad
thing.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
http://nexenta-atlanta.eventbrite.com (March 16-18, 2010)