> If CPU is maxed out then that usually indicates some
> severe problem
> with choice of hardware or a misbehaving device
> driver.  Modern
> systems have an abundance of CPU.

AFAICS the CPU loads are only high while scrubbing a double parity pool. I have
no indication of a technical misbehaviour with the exception of dismal
concurrent performance.

What is not getting beyond me is the notion that even if I *had* a storage
configuration with 20 times more I/O capacity it still would max out any CPU I
could buy better than the single L5410 I am running from currently. I am seeing
CPU performance being a pain point on any "software" based array I have used so
far. From SOHO NAS boxes (the usual Thecus stuff) to NetApp 3200 filers, all
exposed a nominal performance drop once parity configurations were employed.
Performance of the L5410 is abundant for the typical operation of my system,
btw. It can easiely saturate the dual 1000 Mbit NICs for iSCSI and CIFS
services. I am slightly reluctant to buy a second L5410 just to provide more
headroom during maintenance operations, as the device will be idle otherwise,
consuming power.

Regards,

Tonmaus