Hi,

I got a message from you off-list that doesn't show up in the thread even after
hours. As you mentioned the aspect here as well I'd like to respond to, I'll do
it from here:

> Third, as for ZFS scrub prioritization, Richard
> answered your question about that.  He said it is
> low priority and can be tuned lower.  However, he was
> answering within the <br>context of an 11 disk RAIDZ2
> with slow disks  His exact words were:
>

> This could be tuned lower, but your storage
> is slow and *any* I/O activity will be
> noticed.

Richard told us two times that scrub already is as low in priority as can be.
From another message:

"Scrub is already the lowest priority. Would you like it to be lower?"

As much as the comparison goes between "slow" and "fast" storage. I have
understood that Richard's message was that with storage providing better random
I/O zfs priority scheduling will perform significantly better, providing less
degradation of concurrent load. While I am even inclined to buy that, nobody
will be able to tell me how a certain system will behave until it was tested,
and to what degree concurrent scrubbing still will be possible.
Another thing: people are talking a lot about narrow vdevs and mirrors.
However, when you need to build a 200 TB pool you end up with a lot of disks in
the first place. You will need at least double failover resilience for such a
pool. If one would do that with mirrors, ending up with app. 600 TB gross to
provide 200 TB net capacity is definitely NOT an option.

Regards,

Tonmaus