As to your two questions above, I'll try to answer them from my limited
understanding of the issue.

The format: Isn't fault tolerant. In the least. One single bit wrong and
the entire stream is invalid. A FEC wrapper would fix this.

I've logged CR# "6936195 ZFS send stream while checksumed isn't fault tollerant" to keep track of that.

The utility: Can't handle streams being split (in case of streams being
larger that a single backup media).

I think it should be possible to store the 'zfs send' stream via NDMP and let NDMP deal with the tape splitting. Though that may need additional software that isn't free (or cheap) to drive the parts of NDMP that are in Solaris. I don't know enough about NDMP to be sure but I think that should be possible.

--
Darren J Moffat