On 18/03/2010 17:26, Svein Skogen wrote:
The utility: Can't handle streams being split (in case of streams being
larger that a single backup media).

I think it should be possible to store the 'zfs send' stream via NDMP
and let NDMP deal with the tape splitting.  Though that may need
additional software that isn't free (or cheap) to drive the parts of
NDMP that are in Solaris.  I don't know enough about NDMP to be sure but
I think that should be possible.

And here I was thinking that the NDMP stack basically was tapedev and/or
autoloader device via network? (i.e. not a backup utility at all but a
method for the software managing the backup to attach the devices)

NDMP doesn't define the format of what goes on the tape so it can help put the 'zfs send' stream on the tape and thus deal with the lack of 'zfs send' being able to handle tape media smaller than its stream size.

--
Darren J Moffat