http://www.bitshop.com/Blogs/tabid/95/EntryId/78/Bug-in-OpenSolaris-SMB-Server-causes-slow-disk-i-o-always.aspx

This explains just how major of a bug this issue is IMHO - The SMB slowdown
from Windows 2003 is doing something odd in the Kernel I think now from the
symptoms - See the tests for rsync performance.

Our file move used to bring the server to almost unusable (in fact some SAN
clients would say iSCSI host disappeared and shutdown). Now during the copy /
load on the disks the iSCSI clients are insanely fast - Only difference is
server/smb is disabled.

I think ZFS De-Dup just made it appear worse.