> Would your users be concerned if there was a possibility that
> after extracting a 50 MB tarball that files are incomplete, whole
> subdirectories are missing, or file permissions are incorrect?

Correction:  "Would your users be concerned if there was a possibility that
after extracting a 50MB tarball *and having a server crash* then files could
be corrupted as described above."

If you disable the ZIL, the filesystem still stays correct in RAM, and the
only way you lose any data such as you've described, is to have an
ungraceful power down or reboot.

The advice I would give is:  Do zfs autosnapshots frequently (say ... every
5 minutes, keeping the most recent 2 hours of snaps) and then run with no
ZIL.  If you have an ungraceful shutdown or reboot, rollback to the latest
snapshot ... and rollback once more for good measure.  As long as you can
afford to risk 5-10 minutes of the most recent work after a crash, then you
can get a 10x performance boost most of the time, and no risk of the
aforementioned data corruption.

Obviously, if you cannot accept 5-10 minutes of data loss, such as credit
card transactions, this would not be acceptable.  You'd need to keep your
ZIL enabled.  Also, if you have a svn server on the ZFS server, and you have
svn clients on other systems ... You should never allow your clients to
advance beyond the current rev of the server.  So again, you'd have to keep
the ZIL enabled on the server.

It all depends on your workload.  For some, the disabled ZIL is worth the
risk.