On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Damon Atkins wrote:

Why do we still need "/etc/zfs/zpool.cache" file???

The cache file contains a list of pools to import, not a list of pools that exist. If you do a "zpool export foo" and then reboot, we don't want foo to be imported after boot completes.

Unfortunately, the problem goes well beyond just zpool.cache. There are several configuration files which use the pool name (e.g. dumpadm, vfstab for swap), not to mention beadm configuration for opensolaris or live upgrade configuration for Solaris 10.

To solve it properly would require not an insignificant amount of work. It's solvable, yes, but it's well beyond the scope of the original "zpool split" putback.

Regards,
markm