You might want to take this issue over to caiman-disc...@opensolaris.org, because this is more of an installation/management issue than a zfs issue. Other than providing a mechanism for updating the zpool.cache file, the actions listed below are not directly related to zfs.

I believe that the Caiman team is looking at implementing a mass provisioning and disaster recovery mechanism (functionally similar to flash archives in the legacy Solaris installer). Pool splitting could be another tool in their toolbox for accomplishing that goal.

Lori